Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The political season

Well I'm back.

This past election really wore me out. And contrary to all the CRUM signs about St. Augustine I was not running for the city Commission. It's interesting to look at the Bible and how Jesus dealt with politics. Jesus had compassion on all people. From the rich tax collector to the poor leper. He met with Nicodemus at night he spoke with 1000's during the day. He preached that we should 'turn the other cheek' while also calling the Pharisees a 'brood of vipers'. Jesus is our model.

When believers get nasty over politics, which is easy to do, Jesus rarely gets the glory. There were all types of religious and political sects in Jesus' day. They all had there pet issues and causes. Jesus ultimately was more interested in people. He was supremely compassionate. Jesus ran into all kinds of people whom he would have had differences with: the Samaritan woman, the demoniac, the woman caught in the act... He balances the truth with his overwhelming love. He was about restoring lives, saving souls, healing his children.

If we need something to be passionate about, lets start with loving people like Jesus did. And despite how the election went for you, we are mandated to pray for all those in government positions of authority. that's my 2 cents

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am grateful to you for this perspective. I so badly need reminding of this. I have had serious and scarring conversations with dear friends and strangers alike about the stark issues of the day. I have VERY strong political opinions and an adeptly sharp tongue at times. My passionate political beliefs are often accompanied by arrogance and cynism towards those I would like to convert to my viewpoint. I have been told on many occassions that I win few allies in this manner. All of this aside I also now recognize that knot that forms in the pit of my stomache after such debate does not originate from differing opinions but from failure to glorify God in expressing them. I am trying to remember in the heat of these kinds of discussion that God made has given me a language full of words to convey my message without hurt or foul. I admittedly still struggle with this but your blog was a nice reinforcement. I just started a blog on here and saw yours while scrolling down through other bloggers in St. Augustine. I know you from ABC a while back. I once took interest in your music program there. I have since married and joined the Catholic Church in Saint Augustine. Hope all is well with you and your ministry. I will check back for more "words of wisdom" again! Thanks.
Tara Vighetti
Saint Augustine